Who Can Access Services?
People with ALS, their caregivers and family are eligible for our services after they register with us. To be eligible for registration as a person with ALS you must be a resident of Prince Edward Island and diagnosed with ALS.
Our services are funded largely through our annual WALK TO END ALS, third party events and individual donations. Your donations help the ALS Society of PEI and ALS Canada to improve the quality of life for those affected by ALS while keeping alive the hope of finding a treatment and cure.
Our Services Include
- Phone support to people affected by ALS (people diagnosed with ALS, their family members, friends and caregivers, healthcare professionals, etc). This allows the people affected by ALS to know they are not alone in dealing with this fatal and often rapidly progressive neurological disease.
- Home visits with people diagnosed with ALS and their families.
- Referrals for supports according to need (Home Care, Provincial Palliative Care Program, AccessAbility Support, Income Support, Hospice, etc).
- Connect our clients and their families with volunteers and other families living with ALS.
- Financial assistance for specified costs associated with ALS diagnosis (transportation, special dietary needs, etc).
- Medical equipment (hospital beds, wheelchairs, ceiling track lifts, specialized seating cushions, etc).
- Respiratory equipment (BiPaps, Cough Assist Units and Suction Machines). This includes access to and services of a respiratory tech.
- Communication program for Ipad or tablet.
Your donations help the ALS Society of PEI to improve the quality of life for those affected by ALS while keeping alive the hope of finding a treatment and cure.
The children of families living with ALS need to live life as normally as possible. Financial challenges of the disease may prevent families from enrolling children in extra-curricular activities. See application form below.
- $500 per child per year.
Our Services Do Not Include
At this time the ALS Society of PEI does not provide financial assistance for drug prescriptions, counselling or private home care.
Downloadable forms – Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format
To view these files, you will need the Adobe Reader, available from Adobe’s Website.
- Equipment program policies and procedures (32KB)
- Confidential client registration (72KB)
- Information consent form (16KB)
- Champs Programs (9KB)
Note: Equipment shall only be provided when funding/equipment is unavailable from other sources (e.g. government funding, loan cupboards, VAC and Insurance Plans).